Thursday, June 12, 2014

MEET AUTHOR SELENA HASKINS

AUTHOR

SELENA HASKINS


Author bio:  Selena Haskins just penned her third book, Riding the Waves, a follow-up to her best-selling novel, A River Moves Forward. As a native Washingtonian, Selena knows all about urban-life, and therefore writes what is true to her heart. Thus, Selena contributed “Mirrors Don’t Lie” to the best-selling book, Just Between Us, which continues to rank #1 on Amazon.
 
Personal favs:
Drink – Starbucks Coffee
Food – Seafood
Vacation – California
TV show – The Steve Harvey Show
Movie – Wow! How much time do we have? I have a long list. “Love and Basketball” would be one of them.
Animal – Dolphins
Sport – Basketball
Book - Bible

Book title:
Riding the Waves


Brief synopsis of your book: In this sequel, Tracey writes a tell-all book that exposes her family and friends. When her ex-lovers decide to seek revenge, things start to spiral out of control, and Tracey finds herself having to choose between fame and money or the love of her family.

Current book or project you’re working on: I’m working on a short-story comedy.

What was the inspiration for your novel? Riding the Waves is the sequel to my debut novel A River Moves Forward. My inspiration came from readers who responded well to A River Moves Forward, and demanded I release a second book. 

Please share three interesting facts about your book which are not covered in the synopsis.
1) Someone gets a divorce.
2) Someone dies.
3) Two characters from book one become lovers.

Who is the most complex character from your current novel? The most complex would be the main character, Tracey.

Are there any characters in your book that remind you of yourself? Connie and Kay-Kay.

If you could pick any well-known or famous author to review your book who would you pick and why? I would go with Nicholas Sparks. Nick likes coming-of-age stories, and contemporary romance. Although my book is not under those categories, part of the plot includes those subjects.

What, who, and when were you first inspired you to write? In high school, I wrote all the time and one of my English teachers saw one of my manuscripts and encouraged me to keep going.

Genre/Author/Reader:

What genre does your book fall into?
African American/Family Life/Urban Fiction.

Which genres do you write? African American Family Life/Urban Fiction.

What is the first book you remember reading that affected how you thought or felt about something? The first book was Forever by Judy Blume, when I was a teenager.

Is there a book you loved that was also made into a movie that you also loved? If so, how did the movie connect with you? For me, it’s never been both. Either I liked the book better or the movie better. It usually depends on which one happens first. I love the movie, “The Help” , but when I read the book afterwards I didn’t like it. On the other hand, I read the book, “The Great Gatsby” and couldn’t finish it, but I loved the movie.

Which three authors have inspired you the most, and why?
1) Margaret Johnson-Hodge, she paints pictures with her words.
2) Omar Tyree, he’s the king of urban fiction, good businessman.
3) Carl Weber, good businessman, and his stories are funny.

Have you ever read a book you couldn’t finish reading? Unfortunately, yes. LOL.

Do you read a book, while you are writing a book?  Yes it doesn’t bother me. I know some authors don’t because they think the other author’s thoughts will become their own. In my opinion, you wouldn’t be able to control that even if you weren’t writing. Everything we take in from the world around us will at times come out in our creativity.

The process:

How many books have you written? Which book is your favourite and why? Three books, and my favourite is my first novel, A River Moves Forward. It’s like having a child. You’ll always remember everything about your first child, and you record every milestone.

Is there anything that helps get you in the mood to write? All it takes is an inspiring thought and I’m on my laptop clicking away.

What were three challenges you faced when writing your book?
1) I had different narrative voices initially, it was a challenge to change it, but I understood where my editor was coming from.
2) Having to cut certain scenes.
3) Rewrites- I hate it!

What lessons have you learned as an aspiring writer? I’ve learned to take the craft of writing seriously. With each book I write, I aspire to get better. For me, it’s not about money it’s about sharing good stories that can reach the hearts of readers.

Do you ever experience writer’s block? If so what helps you to ‘overcome?’ Taking a break helps. Stepping away from the story for awhile.

What is the most important thing you’ve learned, either in the self-publishing or traditional publisher, route? Set a budget, work with people who come highly recommended. Be patient. Learn to adjust as the industry changes. Become a good marketer.

How can people connect with you? The easiest way is through my website. Through my website readers can follow me on social media by clicking on the icons.


Where can readers find your book? 

No comments:

Post a Comment