Wednesday, June 25, 2014

Welcome Author Annamaria Bazzi and her new book INCANTATION PARADOX

Book Title: Incantation Paradox 

Author:

 Annamaria Bazzi

Genre: Urban Fantasy

Cover Artist: Natasha Brown

Author bio:
Although born in the United States, Annamaria Bazzi spent a great deal of her childhood in Sicily, Italy, in a town called Sciacca. Italian was the language spoken at home. Therefore, she had no problems when she found herself growing up in a strange country. Upon returning to the states, she promised herself she would speak without an accent. She attended Wayne State University in Detroit Michigan, where she obtained her Bachelor of Science in Computers with a minor in Spanish.
Annamaria spent twenty years programming systems for large corporations, creating innovative solution, and addressing customer problems. During those years, she raised four daughters and one husband. Annamaria lives in Richmond Virginia with her small family where she now dedicates a good part of her day writing.

Personal favs:
Drink – a good moscato wine
Food – fennel
Vacation – I love going to the beach
TV show – Once Upon a Time
Animal – dogs
Sport – basketball
Book – Wuthering Heights by Emily Bronte

Book title:

Incantation Paradox


Brief synopsis of your book:
A car accident cuts Dolores Reynard’s life short, leaving her with a long list of unfulfilled dreams. When she awakens in a strange bed, inside a much younger body, and living with a new family—she can’t worry she might be going insane. How can she be a teenager again?

Jason Richmond understands the danger awaiting his new houseguest. Wanting to ease her concerns, he works to earn Dolores’ trust. But attraction flares in the most unexpected way, and he finds himself caught between setting the situation right and following his heart.

An enduring evil threatens not only the blossoming love but their lives as well. As Dolores and Jason struggle to unravel the truth behind her resurrection, they find themselves tangled in a web of murder, intrigue and magic. Only together can they hope to overcome the incantation paradox holding them captive.

Current book or project you’re working on:

What was the inspiration for your novel?
Ok, I’ll tell you, but it might be hard to believe. Every so often I get into these weird moods. Does it ever happen to you?
Anyway, that particular morning, I sat at my computer and composed an email to a friend telling him that something real strange happened when I looked in the mirror. I saw my teenage self looking back.
My friend took me literal, letting me know that we all have such days when we wished we could go back in time and re-live life so we can make different and better choises.
I laughed, shook my head, and told him he had no imagination. From these few emails Incantation Paradox was born.

Please share three interesting facts about your book which are not covered in the synopsis.
1) Dolores weilds magic, but she didn’t even know until the middle of the story.
2) Mona’s father and Jason grew up together. Since both were only children they adopted eachother as family.
3) The veil hovers over part of the Earth. The veil is a dimention where magic is used openly.

Who is the most complex character from your current novel?
I beliefe “Eric” is the most complex character in Incantation Paradox.

Are there any characters in your book that remind you of yourself?
No, not in this novel.

If you could pick any well known or famous author to review your book who would you pick and why?
My favourite all time author is Emily Bronte, but because this novel is an urban fantasy I feel that maybe Orson Scott Card, another favourite of mine, would be better suited to review.

What, who, and when were you first inspired you to write?
Oh my goodness! You really want me to remember that far back? Let me try… In Italy, second graders start writing is tema, which is like writing a creative paragraph. The teacher always gave the title of theme of this small paper. I remember loving to write these, especially if the theme lend itself to making things up. By the time I reached fifth grade the teacher spoke with my father about my story telling ability. Unfortunately, in sixth grade my gym teacher approached my father letting him know that I was very talented in the high jump and he should consider training for me. So it was that I ended up in track and field training instead of a creative writing class.

Genre/Author/Reader:

What genre does your book fall into?
Incantation Paradox is an urban fantasy.

Which genres do you write?
I don’t really have a specific genre I follow because I’ve found that I usually enjoy mixing several genres in my novels like sci-fi, fantasy and romance. I also enjoy writing stories that involve wars. Most of these do fall in the YA or New Adult genre.

What is the first book you remember reading, that affected how you thought or felt about something?
The first full-length novel I read was a middle grade book called Le Disavventure di un Angelo in Castigo by Maria Teresa Ratti. Yes, I was in Italy growing up so my first book was in Italian. The story was about a little angel who was sent to Earth because he disobeyed and now had to win his feathers back to re-enter heaven. From it I learned to be kind even to those I didn’t like or didn’t treat me very well. I still remember the feeling overwhelming my heart to the point that I took all my savings, at the time I was about 8, a total of about $25, and donated it to the orphanage we had in my home town of Sciacca.

Is there a book you loved that was also made into a movie that you also loved? If so, how did the movie connect with you?
The book I love, Wuthering Heights, has been made into several movies and I hate to say none captured me. They all lacked the most important thing, bringing forth Heathcliff’s true character.

Which three authors have inspired you the most, and why?
1) Emily Bronte, first and most, because her novel Wuthering Heights struck me deeply and I still carry with me the amazement of her well developed Heathcliff.
2) Louisa May Alcott who so brilliantly wrote her life story. I always tell myself that one day I’ll follow in her footsteps and write mine, which is unusual.
3) Frank Herbert turned me to science fiction, a whole new world to explore and enjoy.

Have you ever read a book you couldn’t finish reading?
Many, but for the life of me, I cannot remember the titles or who wrote them.

Do you read a book, while you are writing a book?
Absolutely, I try never to be without a book. Right now I’m reading the Invisibles by DelSheree Gladden.

The process:

How many books have you written? Which book is your favourite and why?
To this day, I believe I’ve written nine novels. Although I’ve published several short stories, Incantation Paradox is my first full-length novel to be released.
My favourite is a sci-fi series, I have two books written but need to be edited, and the third is one third completed. This particular story deals with my two favourite alien characters, Asmifsf and Richard.

Is there anything that helps get you in the mood to write?
One of the things that puts me in the mood to write, or sends my brain into a frenzy of creativity, is when I sit down and crochet, while my hand move in rhythm, my mind gets lost in the world of imagination.

What were three challenges you faced when writing your book?
1) The relationship between Dolores, in the body of the teen, and Jason was very difficult. I had to come up with a twist to allow them to get to know each other romantically.
2) Eric’s evil ways. I wasn’t always sure I was making him evil enough. Bringing forth his evilness was definitely a challenge.
3) Trying to find a balance between the teenager, Mona, and the woman, Dolores. Sometimes I felt I made the woman behave too much like a teen and had to go back and revise.

What lessons have you learned as an aspiring writer?
You must have a good presence on the internet. You need to build a good platform and learn to use social media to your advantage. Facebook, twitter, blogging are a must to build a following.

Do you ever experience writer’s block? If so what helps you to ‘overcome’?
NO. Because I work a several projects at a time, if I’m stagnating, let’s say writing a new chapter, I turn to next project, which is usually editing the first draft of the previous novel. If that fails also, I go to my blog or website and write a new post. I’m really never in a position where I sit and struggle.

What is the most important thing you’ve learned, either in the self-publishing or traditional publisher, route?
You really have to learn how to market yourself and your books.

How can people connect with you?

Where can readers find your book?



2 comments:

  1. Martha, thank you so much for hosting the tour stop for Incantation Paradox. I had fun

    ReplyDelete