Wednesday, April 8, 2015

KATHRYN'S JUSTICE by Marianne Spitzer

Book title:

Kathryn’s Justice

Brief synopsis of your book:
Kathryn survived childhood abuse, but as an adult is frustrated with the lax court system. Too many pedophiles are getting away with minimal or no sentences. Is there a way for her to take justice into her own hands? Working full time at the hospital and beginning a new romance may impede her plans, but Kathryn has an idea, courage, and a gun.

Excerpt:
In the alley on the way back to her place, she had to resort to using her knife since she had left her gun at home. Dropping her purse, she bent to pick it up and pulled a knife from her boot. She had made a special purchase anonymously on-line and paid extra for the anti-fingerprint coating on the handle. Standing back up, she plunged the knife into his chest to its hilt. He tried to punch her but missed. She shoved him hard, and he fell back and tripped. When he hit the ground, she began to scream and threw herself on top of him. It served two purposes—she could assure he was dead, and the police wouldn’t question her clothes and hands covered in blood. Kathryn smiled at the memory. 
In the ambulance and E.R., she mumbled about the man who tried to kill them. She asked for Brad knowing he was dead. She killed him. Kathryn knew the facts. The police didn’t. A police officer explained Brad passed away, and she sobbed. Kathryn intentionally babbled about the fight and how she couldn’t remember who attacked her and Brad. The attending physician admitted her to the hospital’s psychiatric ward due to her hysterics. It was the perfect cover. No one suspected she killed him. She knew most of the staff, and they knew her. Everyone liked her and felt sorry for her ordeal. She’d be well treated and believed. After all, it was her hospital. She knew the ins and outs and secrets.   

Kathryn smiled knowing she had succeeded. Brad was a child molester and suspected rapist. How long did he expect to go unpunished? The deviant lifestyle he led caught up to him. He didn’t deserve to live.

Author bio:
I was born in Wisconsin and lived there until I was eighteen. Then I spent eight years in Washington state and California before returning to Wisconsin. I love eerie places and books. 
I began with a love of Nancy Drew books and as I grew I found H.P Lovecraft, Poe, Agatha Christie, and Sir Arthur Conan Doyle among others. When I am not writing, I am reading or watching sunsets. I have been writing short stories since I was in grade school. Most were in the form of essays relating real life events. Many were purely imaginary trips to magical places and times.

Current book or project you’re working on:
I am working on two. One is a Kelly Conley mystery and the other is a cozy mystery in my Annie Ryan series.

What moment or event sparked the inspiration for your novel?
This book was therapeutic for me because I went through something very similar to what my main character, Kathryn, did as a child.

Please share three interesting facts about the characters in your book.
1) While Kathryn may be a serial killer in the eyes of the law, she manages to convince the homicide detective that she is an upstanding young woman.
2) Romance surprises Kathryn, but does it change her plans?
3) Kathryn struggles with the good/bad aspect of her actions.

What is the most complex issue you dealt with, as a writer, in your current novel?
Feeling the emotions my main character also felt.

Is any part of your story based on real events?
Only the events Kathryn experienced at age six.

If you could pick any well known or famous author to review your book who would you pick and why?
Wendy Corsi Staub. I love her mysteries and how she builds psychological tension.

This story seems like it would be not only emotional but contain a lot of drama. Does writing such an emotionally complex story affect you in your day to day life or can you step away and let go easily?
I am able to leave the book behind me when I close the laptop, but if something happens to remind me of the book during my day, my mind takes off with possible scenarios.

Genre/Author/Reader:

What genre and age group does your book fall into?
Psychological thriller and while it is not graphic or gory, there is mention of childhood abuse and I would recommend no one under 18 read it.

What is the first book you remember reading that changed how you thought or felt about something?
The first Nancy Drew book I read changed my life as a kid. I became enthralled with mystery stories and began writing them.

Which three authors have inspired you the most, and why?
1) Stephen King for obvious reasons that he takes the ordinary and makes it unordinary frightening.
2) Sir Arthur Conon Doyle because Sherlock Holmes is by far my favorite detective and I love his deductive ability.
3) H.P. Lovecraft because his works introduced me to horror stories.

Did you have to research anything special to write this book?
Kathryn is a morgue assistant and I did some research on exactly what she would do at her job. Also, there was some gun research.

What tip would you give writers on how to balance realistic childhood emotions, especially when reflecting back on childhood memories, when writing fiction?
Everyone feels emotions differently and deals with things in their own way. If an author is adding actual feelings into a fiction novel, I would suggest keeping the emotions true, but change the details enough to keep the author from falling into a depression.  

The process:

How many books have you written?
I have written eight supernatural thrillers, one cozy mystery, and a children’s book.

Which book is your favorite and why?
Gypsy Spirits mainly because it was my first book. I was thrilled and honored when it began to sell and people left positive reviews.

Do you write everyday or only when the mood strikes you?
I try to write every day. If I don’t take the time to write, I make sure I spend time reading.

What were three challenges you faced when writing your book?
1) Writing a character that commits murder regardless that she feels justified.
2) Assuring I had the details correct when it came to the killings.
3) Dealing with personal emotions early in the book.

What keeps you going?
My love of writing.

Was there a time when you felt possessed by a character when you were writing? If so from which book and which character?
No, I have been able to keep a distance between my characters and myself.

What part of the writing process is your least favorite?
Editing and tearing out a scene I thought was good when I wrote it.

What part of being an author excites you the most?
Positive reviews knowing that the words I wrote made someone else happy or entertained them.

Do you have a writing process or do you just write?
For Kathryn’s Justice I made a timeline and short outline. For my other books, I just wrote and let the characters take over.

Is there anything you hope the reader will walk away with or “get” from your story?
That one event in a person’s life can change their future.

What, who, and when, first inspired you to write?
My sixth grade teacher, Mrs. Decker, complimented me on a story I wrote and gave me the confidence to keep writing.

Personal favorite info:
Drink – Water.
Food – Italian.
Vacation – San Diego.
TV show – Supernatural
Movie – Bringing Up Baby
Animal – Dogs
Sport – Football
Book – Alas, Babylon by Pat Frank
Comedy – Old Abbott and Costello movies.
Struggle – Eating healthy
Addiction - Chocolate

How can people connect with you?



Goodreads: Marianne Spitzer

Where can readers find your book?
My book is available on Amazon


1 comment: