Friday, May 31, 2013

WELCOME AUTHOR, H. M. ALDER


WELCOME AUTHOR

 H. M. ALDER

Author bio:
H.M Alder grew up within several towns along the coast of Lake Ontario in upstate New York. A penname, H.M. are the initials of her first and middle name, Heather Michelle, while Alder is derived from an old family name Olszewski meaning “Place of Alder Trees”.
Currently H.M. Alder is working steadily on completing the remaining volumes in the Tides series. She lives with her family in rural Nevada but enjoys trips to the ocean visiting places she once lived during her early 20’s and where her love for the sea began. 

Brief synopsis of your book:
Megan Kerr was fearless. But on the morning of her sixteenth birthday all that changes when a haunting chill creeps over her as something lurking from below watches and waits and challenges everything she thought she once knew. Now Meg must learn to believe in what was once considered myth as she and three others find they are heirs to an unfathomable legacy. 
Together they’ll journey into the deep and uncover a world once forgotten, filled with the mysteries of their ancestors, where merpeople and humans once swam synchronized among the waves. Soon each learns they harbor the secrets that will restore such a union once again.
But every crusade has its challenges and such knowledge comes with a price. There are those who seek a claim in their expedition, those with evil intent hiding in the shadows waiting to strike. The four must learn to trust each other as allies in order to prevail.  Friendships are tested as a treacherous battle begins. One in which to the victor goes the control of the tides…  

Book title:
TIDES: The Treasure of Tay


Current book or project you’re working on:
Finishing the remainder of the series…TIDES: The Living Jewel, TIDES: The Road to Bimini and TIDES: The Lost City
I also have the “NAME A CHARACTER CONTEST” going on for the third book in the series. Readers can log onto http://tidesbook.com/contest and learn how to take part in the story. It’s free to enter and there are cash prizes!

Who is the most complex character from your current novel?
I’d have to say my main villain, Addison. There are layers to her that will be peeled back and revealed as the series continues. She has been bred for pure evil but the reader will find there are reasons she may possess a glimmer of light.

Are there any characters in your book that remind you of yourself?
Out of all of my characters I’d have to say I probably resemble one of my heroines Kindra the most. She’s the quietest but most thoughtful of the group. She respects others and is more old-fashioned. The reader will find she resembles the remark, “still waters run deep”, and I’d like to hope people have the same opinion of me.

Genre/Author/Reader:

What genre does your book fall into?
I’ve coined it a YA, aquatic adventure.

Have you ever read a book you couldn’t finish reading?
I haven’t although funny enough; it took me several months to read and re-read through the first few chapters of the novel The Four Feathers by A.E.W. Mason. For some reason I couldn’t get into it but then one day I turned the page and couldn’t stop. I fell into it and fell in love and it’s now one I’d recommend without hesitation and one of my all-time favourites.

Do you read a book, while you are writing a book?
Not usually. When I’m actively writing I find it too distracting to be involved in another world other than the one I’m trying to create. I LOVE reading so on one hand it’s hard not to pick up another but I feel that if I’m reading I could be writing. I also fear that I’ll in some way inadvertently gather ideas from another author and put them into my stories…and that’s probably the worst thing I could ever do as an author.

The process:

Is there anything that helps get you in the mood to write?
Since my series takes place in oceans around the globe, a trip to the beach really fires up my engines. When I can’t readily enjoy the sound of the waves breaking onto the shore I find inspiration within my fellow authors. I’m a member of several social sites that are full of fellow writers who truly inspire me to continue on.

What is the most important thing you’ve learned, either in the self-publishing or traditional publisher, route?
Continuing in the same vein as above: to make connections with fellow writers. It may seem like a simple notion or even unnecessary but by networking this way other authors can provide exposure within their own fan circles. Most have been down in the trenches and are ready and willing to help and offer guidance. It’s something I’ve learned and am grateful for.
 
Do you have any ideas for your book and Hollywood? Actors, directors, music.
I think most writers fantasize about such things. I have all of the above in mind and a notebook full of pictures and ideas if I were ever blessed with such an opportunity.

Do you watch a lot of science fiction or fantasy movies?
I watched a ton growing up and still enjoy them to this day. Although I love most genres sci-fi and fantasy are closest to my heart. Guess that’s why I write the in those categories as well. J

Do you study science, the planets, history or anything special to help you with your writing?
I do. I’ve spent countless hours researching for the TIDES series. I’ve collected pages of notes on ocean life and researching the geographic areas the stories take place. I also am very adamant about making sure the names of people and places offer their meanings to the storyline.

What, who, and when were you first inspired you to write?
I have been writing since I was able to grasp a pencil and there was nothing “conscious” about it, it was just something I always longed to do. But my family absolutely encouraged it and as I went along in school I was blessed to have supportive teachers who furthered that passion.

Personal favs:
Drink – Something I like to call “The refresher”. A mix of cranberry juice, lemonade and tonic water. Summer in a glass!
Food – Cheese-stuffed pierogi. It’s an old family recipe that I devour whenever possible. J
Vacation – Anywhere with my family! But best I can ever remember was Maui.
TV show – The Walking Dead
Movie – Alien series
Animal – Dolphin
Sport – Watching- Hockey, Playing- Volleyball
Book – Arrows Flight


How can people connect with you?
Website/Blog: http://tidesbook.com/

Where can readers find your book?

No comments:

Post a Comment